Step by step guide to block IP address on Windows and Mac.
The numerous ways in which the internet has made our life more comfortable is of common knowledge. The entire world is accessible to us in a metaphorical sense. However, a few factors of concern exist that need to be taken care of while reaping maximum benefits from the internet.
Among the several steps that need to follow, the first and foremost measure that should be learned is how to block an intruder’s IP address who wishes to threaten you. Since the internet’s expansiveness is enormous beyond comprehension, regulating its features and limiting the risks to manageable proportions is equally necessary.
Several external elements can disrupt our safety and privacy online, making it imperative to safeguard our online presence, including important websites, emails, passwords, etc. Hence, knowing how to block IP address Windows 10 is advisable.
Table of Contents
- 1 How To Block IP Address?
- 2 What Is An IP Address?
- 3 What An IP Addresses Look Like?
- 4 1. IPv4
- 5 2. IPv6:
- 6 When Does It Become Necessary To Block IP Address?
- 7 1. To Limit Access to Websites:
- 8 2. Firewall for Data:
- 9 3. Maintenance of Speed:
- 10 4. Maintaining Confidentiality:
- 11 How To Block IP Address?
- 12 How To Block Ip Address Windows 10:
- 13 1. Select the website to be blocked:
- 14 2. Open Command Prompt:
- 15 3. Open Windows Firewall:
- 16 4. Go to ‘Advanced Settings + Windows Inbound Rules:
- 17 5. New Rule:
- 18 6. Adding IP Addresses:
- 19 7. The Block Option:
- 20 8. Repetition with Outbound Rules:
- 21 How to Block an IP Address for Mac Users:
- 22 Method 1:
- 23 Method 2:
- 24 1. System Preferences:
- 25 2. Access Router:
- 26 3. Restrict Access:
- 27 Reasons For Getting Blocked:
- 28 1. Virus attack on the device:
- 29 2. Inappropriate Website Content
- 30 3. Presence of Software Extensions:
- 31 4. Illegal actions history:
- 32 Importance Of Blocking An IP Address:
How To Block IP Address?
It’s always best to learn how to protect yourself from external threats. Yes, the internet offers some basic security, but it is not everything to protect your system from the crafty criminals present on the internet. They have the skills to slip tough the loopholes of the internet. Hence, learning and blocking the IP address online bugs is the best way to enhance your system’s safety on the internet.
What Is An IP Address?
Blocking IP addresses is quite an advance move, but first, let’s know what an IP Address is before we do it. The best way to comprehend an IP address’s role can understand by comparing it to a regular residential address. At your registered address, you will receive your mails, packages, bills, etc.
In short, it is a combination of all the details used to track down one’s location precisely what an IP address stands for. It works in the same manner.
Like each house, each device connected to the internet has a specific IP address. It is unique for each device. Like address allows us to interact with the outer world in different ways, IP address will enable the device to contact another device and network over the internet to send and receive information.
In easy words, the IP address is a must needed thing to communicate with other networks.
What An IP Addresses Look Like?
We use many things daily in real life, but we don’t know what it looks like. It is valid for an IP address well. All internet users connect to the internet using an IP address, but most don’t know how it looks.
So, there are two types of IP address: IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 stands for Internet Protocol version 4, and IPv6 stands for Internet Protocol version 6. Now let’s talk about it in little detail.
IPv4 came into existence in the ’70s and can still be seen in most devices. Even though it was the first wave, many devices are connected to the internet using IPv4 addresses.
It consists of 4 numbers ranging between 0-255 and are separated from each other using periods/dots.
However, due to the internet’s ever-evolving nature, all possible variations of this format have been assigned already. To resolve this predicament, a new system to assign IP addresses became essential, and here comes IPv6 in 2012.
Organizations like the Internet Society launched IPv6 format on June 6, 2012. It comprises an eight group of four hexadecimal digits. It includes alphabets and numbers, which are separated by colons.
Due to the combination of alphanumeric systems, the number will not be exhausted anywhere soon, and hence a large number of devices can connect through IPv6 addresses.
- Example of IPv6 address: 2001:0bd8:85a3:0000:0000:9d6b:0370:7334
When Does It Become Necessary To Block IP Address?
Blocking IPs is not necessary at all unless you face threats of a breach in cybersecurity. However, at present, we come across various internet-related hazards regularly, and as a result, knowing how to block IP address can come in handy. Some of the most common reasons include:
1. To Limit Access to Websites:
Several schools, universities, other academic institutions, and even specific workplaces often block unnecessary websites that are not relevant to their work line. It is mainly enforced to reduce distractions and boost productivity.
2. Firewall for Data:
This is one of the most common reasons for blocking IPs. Hackers and other anti-social elements often invade websites to access confidential information and other sensitive data. Later on, they either demand ransom from the owners or tarnish the institution’s reputation.
3. Maintenance of Speed:
More often than not, when bots and spammers try to intrude a website, the bandwidth of your internet will undergo immense strain. It will decrease the overall browsing speed of your connection.
4. Maintaining Confidentiality:
Hackers targeted some academies, institutions, and companies who keep confidential data like records, transcripts, contact details, etc. If you want to keep the data safe, it is best to identify such an IP address and block it to prevent future mess and hustle.
These are some known reasons, but many other countess reasons block some malicious IP address. So, let’s move to the ways of how to block an IP address.
How To Block IP Address?
Several methods can block any specific IP address on a computer, which has been causing us trouble. Learning the various steps involved in blocking IPs is a necessary skill in today’s day and age.
Another important reason to learn this action is to protect our system from unwanted software installation such as viruses and malware. The blocking mostly depends on the type of operating system used in the device. Let us look at the methods used for the two most common systems, Windows and Mac.
How To Block Ip Address Windows 10:
To learn how to block IP address Windows 10, the process involves going through the ‘Windows Firewall.’ It will ensure that our system does not get cut off from outside networks and disable any external threat alone. The steps to be followed are:
1. Select the website to be blocked:
Go to the browser and locate the website which has to be blocked. Copy the link completely, excluding the www in the address.
2. Open Command Prompt:
- In the start menu, open Command Prompt.
- Now paste the address of the website, which was copied earlier. This step will generate code, which will also contain the IP address of the website.
- Now highlight and select the IPv4 or IPv6 code. Recheck to confirm that this is the actual IP address of the website we intended to block.
3. Open Windows Firewall:
In the Start menu, select Control Panel and open Windows Firewall.
4. Go to ‘Advanced Settings + Windows Inbound Rules:
- After opening the Windows Firewall, go to Advanced Settings. It will be on the left side of the screen.
- Now locate Inbound Rules, which will be present on the top-left of the screen. It will change the menu options.
- Find New Rule on the right portion of the window and select it.
5. New Rule:
- After opening the New Rule tab, click on the Custom option and choose Next.
- You will arrive at a window which will ask, Which remote IP addresses does this rule apply to?. Select the option, These IP Addresses.
6. Adding IP Addresses:
- Now, press the Add button. Now, paste the IP address of the website you wanted to block in the box which will read, This IP address or subnet:
- Add all the websites which you wish to block.
- Now, click Next, which will be located at the bottom of the screen.
7. The Block Option:
- Three options will be available now. The last option will be Block the connection.
- Select this option. You will be taken to a page that will prompt Name. You will have to name the blocked IP addresses at this juncture.
- Now press Next until the Finish bar is shown on the screen. Select Finish.
8. Repetition with Outbound Rules:
- Revert to the tab of Advanced Settings and repeat the same process step by step with Outbound Rules.
How to Block an IP Address for Mac Users:
The steps involved in how to block IP address for Mac users are slightly different. It is essential to get access to your Wi-Fi router and also be aware of its password.
Step #1. The PacketFilter Configuration has to be edited at first. It will find in the path /etc/pf.conf
Step #2. Here, add the IP address which has to be blocked.
Step #3. Run the command given below to quit VIM and to load the config file.
- Here, e will help to enable the pocket filter.
- Similarly, the rules contained in the file can load by -f.
The IP address has been blocked now. In case you want to disable this option, run the following:
To know how to block IP address on a mac pc, you need access to your LAN or wireless router to connect to the internet. Password is another essential part printed on the outer part of the model, mostly at the bottom.
Recommended: Mediacom Router Login
1. System Preferences:
- Click on the apple logo located on the top left corner of the screen. It will open the Apple menu.
- From the drop-down menu, click the system preference option.
- From the system preference, go to Network.
- Now, click on the Advanced… bar located at the bottom of the screen.
- Here, you will find the TCP/IP tab. From here, you can find your IPv4/IPv6 address.
2. Access Router:
- Now, you have to log in to your router, and for that, you need your password.
- As I said, it is at the bottom of the router. If you can’t find it, contact your network provider.
3. Restrict Access:
- After login into the router, a list of enabled and disabled IP addresses will appear.
- From there, you can deny access to specific IP addresses or multiple IP addresses.
- You have the option of blocking a website.
- Once you do so, your network is safe from the IP address.
Reasons For Getting Blocked:
At times, we realize that we have been blocked from attempting to access a particular website, or the option to enter it has been denied. There could be several reasons for this:
1. Virus attack on the device:
Your device could be affected by a virus. In this case, the only solution is to detect the virus and its origin and erase it from your system. Later on, you can reapproach the website and assure them that your device is safe now and that you can remove it from the blacklist.
2. Inappropriate Website Content
Sometimes, websites with offensive content are blacklisted from multiple websites. The reason is your content. While you may disagree with another admin’s decision to block your website, the only way to keep it outside of the blacklist is to appeal to the admin.
3. Presence of Software Extensions:
It is an entirely legal process. However, if your browser has extensions that include ad-blockers, you might not be able to access certain websites. Websites generate revenue from advertisements. Hence, devices that use ad-blockers automatically block from accessing their website as they will lose out on profits.
4. Illegal actions history:
Your website could get blocked at times by other websites if you host offensive content. Your website will get blacklisted for this reason. The only way to resolve this problem is by making a direct request to the admin of that particular website.
Importance Of Blocking An IP Address:
As we have discussed, the IP address connects your device to the internet. Discovering and blocking the IP address of a device or website can stop an internet user’s trouble. The process is a relatively straightforward one.
However, the steps of blocking IP address depends on the OS like windows or mac. Several reasons lead to the blocking of your IP address. The most common cause is that it contains a virus (mostly accidentally). And hence use antivirus software to keep your pc and data safe.
We have come to the end of the steps one has to take to understand how to block IP address for both Windows and Mac. All of these steps have to be followed in the proper sequence to get the correct results. And in case of doubt, we are here to help you.