There are so many reasons why you would want to install a VPN on your Roku device.
Some of the obvious benefits are increased anonymity, unlocking restricted content, and extra security. But the problem is Roku doesn’t support VPNs, which is why you need to install it on your router. For this, you need a router that is compatible with DD-WRT.
In case, your router doesn’t support DD-WRT, no worries, you can use your Windows PC or Mac as a virtual router. This is a better option than getting a new router.
If you are looking for the steps to install a VPN on Roku, you are in the right place. We have provided a step-by-step guide so you can complete the process without ease.
Recommended: VIP72 – VPN Service And Proxy Solutions
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Install VPN on Roku?
- 2 1. Install DD-WRT Firmware on Your Router
- 3 2. Install a VPN on DD-WRT Firmware
- 4 3. Connect to a server via your VPN’s interface
- 5 How to set up a VPN for Roku on a virtual router?
- 6 Install a VPN on Roku through a Virtual Router on Mac
- 7 Install a VPN on Roku through a Virtual Router on Windows
- 8 Which VPN is best to use with Roku?
- 9 Final Thoughts
- 10 FAQs
How to Install VPN on Roku?
Roku offers an affordable way to expand your streaming possibilities. It allows you to stream content from any platform you want. But the true potential is unleashed when you use it with a VPN.
After installing a VPN, you can access restricted content, spoof your location, change your IP address, and a lot more.
However, it’s not possible to install a VPN directly on Roku. This is why you need to do the following:
- Install new firmware on your router.
- Install a VPN on the firmware you just installed.
- Connect Roku to the router.
Note: You shouldn’t create a Roku account before installing a VPN, as Roku will remember your initial IP address.
1. Install DD-WRT Firmware on Your Router
For those who don’t know DD-WRT is an open-source firmware based on Linux. By installing this firmware, you get access to more options on your router.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- The first thing you need to do is make sure that your router has support for DD-WRT. You will find the list of routers supported by DD-WRT online.
- If your router model is on the list, proceed to download the .bin files.
- Read the instructions to learn how to flash new firmware on your router.
2. Install a VPN on DD-WRT Firmware
Installing a VPN on DD-WRT is a simple process, provided that you know the steps. Start by logging into your router, and then enable your VPN.
- Copy the IP address of your router and paste it into the search bar of your web browser.
- Go to “Setup,” and choose “Basic Setup.” Now select “Network Address Server Settings.”
- Enter your VPN’s DNS server address. You will find this information on the official site of your VPN.
- Disable IPv6.
- Go to the “Services” section and select “VPN.”
- Enable the OpenVPN Client and select the option “Start OpenVPN Client.”
- You will be asked to enter a few details such as the password of your VPN account, email address, VPN protocol type, and the server address that you want to use.
- Copy and paste the certificate key in the required field.
- After everything is done, click the “Apply” option to save the settings.
3. Connect to a server via your VPN’s interface
After the VPN is set up with your router, you can connect to any server via your VPN’s interface. The best server options for Roku users are UK or US. This is because most streaming platforms have permission to distribute their content in the mentioned regions.
You should create a Roku account after setting up your VPN. Create a new Roku account every time you switch countries.
How to set up a VPN for Roku on a virtual router?
If your router is not compatible with the DD-WRT firmware, you should turn your PC or Mac computer to a virtual router. This is the best alternative solution to deal with this issue.
Install a VPN on Roku through a Virtual Router on Mac
To use your Mac computer as a virtual router, you need to follow these steps:
- First, go to “System Preferences” and select “Network.”
- You will notice a Plus Sign at the bottom left edge of the screen. Click on it to open.
- Select a VPN interface and add a new VPN connection. Choose the “L2TP over IPSec” VPN type and the name of your VPN provider.
- After you are done with the above step, click “Create.”
- Access the details of this new configuration and enable the default configuration. Take a server address from your VPN’s site and paste it in the “account name” field.
- Check the box beside the option “Show VPN status in the menu bar.”
- Go to “Authentication Settings” and set a new password for this connection.
- In the “Advanced Options” section, enable “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
- After you are done, hit the “Apply” button.
Install a VPN on Roku through a Virtual Router on Windows
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the search bar by pressing the Windows + S keys together.
- Enter “cmd” to launch the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, enter “netsh wlan show drivers” and press Enter. This will give access to your network driver configurations.
- Check if the “Hosted network supported” is followed by “Yes.”
Now install the VPN on your computer and log into your VPN account. Once you are logged in, follow these steps:
- Go to the option “Open Network Internet Settings” and launch the settings dashboard.
- Select the option “Change Adapter Settings.”
- Find the VPN connection and right-click on it. Select the option “Properties.”
- Select “Sharing Tab.”
- Enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.”
- Once done, save the settings.
Which VPN is best to use with Roku?
ExpressVPN is considered the best VPN to use with Roku. This VPN is mainly used for streaming purposes. Plus, it is easy to install and use.
By installing a VPN on Roku, you can stream a huge collection of content, including the ones that are blocked or restricted.
However, you need to be subscribed to the streaming platform to access it with your VPN. Now that you are aware of the steps, you should be able to complete the process with ease.
How to install a VPN on Roku?
To install a VPN on Roku, you need to first install DD-WRT firmware on your router.
What to do if my router doesn’t support DD-WRT?
In this case, you should use your PC or Mac computer as a virtual router.